The University of Graz, which was founded in 1585, is Austria's second oldest university and one of the largest in the country. Many excellent scientists, amongst them six Nobel laureates, have taught and researched here.
As early as 1945, Yeshiva University President Dr. Samuel Belkin envisioned the creation of a new medical school. Encouraged by influential public figures, he persuaded the Board of Trustees to initiate discussions with the New York State Board of Regents to amend the University’s charter to include the granting of the degree of Doctor of Medicine, discussions that were successfully completed on December 15, 1950. In June, 1951, Dr. Belkin and New York City Mayor Vincent Impellitteri entered into an agreement whereby the professional care of all patients in the 1,400-bed Bronx Municipal Hospital Center then under construction would be the responsibility of the faculty of the College of Medicine. On March 15, 1953, the day following his 74th birthday, Professor Albert Einstein formally agreed to permit his name to be used for the first medical school to be built in New York City since 1897.
In 2004, a group of health scientists found a way to deliver healthy, sustained energy to chemotherapy patients.
They developed and patented a powerful blend of antioxidants and essential vitamins that optimizes the body’s natural energy production at the cellular level. Because antioxidant molecules neutralize or "scavenge" free radicals to prevent and slow cell damage in the body, they called the formula FRS after these Free Radical Scavengers.
Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences (DIPAS) was officially established on 20th September 1962. In India, research in military physiology was initiated in the year 1950 through a small group of scientists and medical physiologists within the realm of Defence Science Laboratory, Delhi.
In 1962, with the thrust area identification of high altitude physiology, nutrition and biochemistry of human in severe stress environment and also with the urgent need felt for ergonomic assessment of workstations and man-machine interface, a full-fledged laboratory was established.
Established in 1984, the Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH) is one among the chain of 37 national laboratories, 6 units and 39 outreach centres of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research. Set-up to be a fore-runner in the niche domain of microbial biotechnology, the Institute in its initial years functioned from a start-up laboratory that provided a truly world-class R&D ambience in an area of over 10,000 sq. ft. to its researchers. In September, 1989, upon completion of the permanent campus, the Institute shifted to occupy an area of about 47 acres, of which the labs covered 22 acres and the residential campus 25 acres. The Institute covering a built up area of about 3.60 lakh sq. ft., is spread over four main buildings, namely, Main R&D block, Fermentation block, Animal House, Workshop, Stores and Services area, several service building including a guest house and Cafeteria. Recently another block of almost 50000 sq. ft. area (the G.N. Ramachandran Protein Centre) has been added, to cater to R&D in all aspects of Protein science and engineering. The Institute provides laboratories which are functionally modular and offer large, air-conditioned, clean research areas to all the scientists.